Disclaimer

Stalk me to find new posts.

The Spy in the Fortune Cookie says:

There is no original, only obscure. We cannot manifest that which we cannot perceive. We cannot perceive that which does not exist outside our reality.

Friday, February 5, 2010

On Innocence

I'm going through my iTunes library and all the songs I listened a year ago. Among them are many trance songs that feel soft, round, and warm. They speak of free time and free will. For some reason, the palate of my ears reject them. I still listen to electronic music, but only the bitter, scratchy puke of the synth finds its way into my mind. I suppose this must be what the transition from white to red wine must feel like.
I cannot begin to describe what has happened to me within the last twelve months, mostly because I don't know. I only know that sometime between last February and now, a series of tragedies erupted in my life. I call these events tragedies only because I had nightmares of them for years before. I have seen the shallowness of humans and have seen the effectiveness of shallowness. I have come to question most of what I believed in. I don't think I can pinpoint a time where my innocence just died, but I can say that my reserve of it was drained. Innocence, like an arm or a leg, cannot be recovered. I'm sorry for being so dramatic, but something happened today that told me that I'm not innocent anymore. I can only believe in my own hopes and I can never sell them out again.

Cameron, if you're reading this, I hate my writing. I honestly hate my own ink. And it is my writing, not any ridiculous thing the English department has manufactured. No, I hate my writing.
Katie, if you're reading this, I think that some part of you, perhaps a tiny subconscious flicker, knows as well as I that there are people among us we cannot trust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely. I really, truly do. I think you and I have been living similar lives for the past year, and I went through the dark music phase too. The phases of my life are SET to music. You'll come out of it eventually.

We should talk. If you're up for it.