Disclaimer

Stalk me to find new posts.

The Spy in the Fortune Cookie says:

There is no original, only obscure. We cannot manifest that which we cannot perceive. We cannot perceive that which does not exist outside our reality.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fruits of Research 2: Sex=XXX=3 Kisses?

Note: I understand that philosophy becomes quite... dry.  And eventually I shall learn to make it more eloquent.  But if you knew my current English situation, I'm sure you'd understand.

"And you are engaged, sir?"

"Of course.  I love [name deleted]."

"So you have experienced 'love'?"

"Of course."

"Being an experienced man, is there anything you can tell other men about 'love'?"

"...Well... I can't describe it.  It's perfect."

Perhaps it's true.  Perhaps he is in "love".  But obviously this must be a secret or something indescribable by an experienced source.  Of course, I have no idea what it is, and becoming more "emotionally sterile" each day, it might not matter.  But what is it?

I'll try.  It's two things: Instinct and Morality.

On instinct, at least for men, "love" is merely the human drive to reproduce manifested in the search for the strongest human match.  Of course, that involves various "anomalies", but we can assume that there is a general consensus on what is "strong".  Anything else is either a new instinct being formed in human evolution for the good of the population or a failed experiment of the gene-pool.

On morality, refer to David Hume's Ought and Is.  Ought is the stuff you see in the movies.  I ask of you to lower your standards.  Is is reality, the one that we experience.  There is no "falling in love at first sight".  There is no situation where both people fall in love at once.  We were not built so perfectly.  Morality is a system.  Love is a system.  Like other systems, there is no hope beyond breaking it.

No comments: